Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Stupid Breeders...

Last night was pretty darned fun. I cooked chicken breasts in the leftover red wine/bacon soup disaster post coq au vin on Sunday. They were friggin’ amazing. And I was right in that the dish, with the sauce finished appropriately, actually goes better with my own mashed roasted sweet potatoes than with mashed russets, reds or Yukon golds. Orpheus contributed a beautiful little fresh spinach salad, and had made bisquick scones earlier in the day, which I covered in fresh strawberries in a honey sauce set off with a touch of pepper, salt, and peach schnapps. I like dating a man who doesn’t make a bloody mess of baking. God knows I do.

After a couple quick chores, and contacting a very old friend who I’m supposed to hang out with this week (and cook for… R. and his girlfriend just broke up, and he’s still paying for the apartment), O. and I headed downtown. We had to make a quick trip to Walgreens for lube, which he was fresh out of at his place, and it was pretty amusing. When we walked in, there was a really cute straight couple standing by the wall ‘o prophylactics timidly considering their options, caught like deer in headlights between two obvious fags and the Astroglide. Orpheus said he got full eye contact with the guy, while reaching past to the lube, and there was fear in his eyes… stupid breeder. Once we finally checked out, we’d also acquired three cans of Pringles, a box of Honey Bunches of Oats, and some bit of candy or some such. All I could think while we paid was “damn, it looks like we’re holing up for the night!” I mean, really! Enough carbs to get one to NYC and back, and lube in quantities sufficient for a small yet tasteful orgy. Funny, ‘cause we ended up going out.

We hit the Opus Lounge, which is quickly becoming our favorite bar. It was the site of the walking abortion of an evening with BF, Aphrodite’s cohabitator, tormenter, and now boss. The regular weeknight bartender (also the manager) was there, so we got excellent and familiar service with ongoing conversation continued from weeks before. Plus, we were there with friends who I hadn’t seen in awhile (and who O. and I had, by our phone call, rescued from such an ignominious fate as watching the final basketball game in the NCAA tournament), so all was right with the world. Since I’m flaking on him Wednesday with R., Orpheus and I will be hanging out tonight. This is just fine by me, as I totally want to use the lube we purchased at the price of a straight man’s dignity for its’ intended purpose… Easing the way.

No comments: