Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Belated Work-Friendships and sundry…

Keeping you all up to date on everything Little-monkey-like hasn’t been easy in the last few weeks. The slow recovery of my ability to type, to rotate my right wrist, and lift coffee mugs to my mouth has hardly kept apace with my need to kick ass and take names at work. This has been… detrimental to my blogging. So, I’ll begin by recounting a wonderful thing that happened last Thursday with my work friend, Aries. Aries is M., the wonderful woman who tries to help everyone who’s hurt here at work. Lately, with my broken wing, another’s broken ankle, and a bevy of other ailments in this apparently cursed department, being so kind has taken a great deal of forbearance. Partially to say thank you for helping when it was needed, and partially because we’d been talking about doing it for awhile, we cooked dinner together, ostensibly to teach her how to deal with tofu (a trick I only figured out a few weeks ago). She’s been a vegetarian for about two decades, and never figured it out!

We had a great conversation while walking to obtain and then drinking a few beers, and a great deal of fun cooking together. I took the opportunity to teach her how to chop shit up properly, the best way to hold knives, and even sharpened her OK Santoku for her, so she wouldn’t hurt herself using it. She seemed to learn well, and successfully completed the cooking of the tofu on the second side by herself without destroying it (this was a significantly better job than I on my first attempt). Her stove sucks almost as much as mine in terms of hot-spots, which made me both more sympathetic to her non-tofu-cooking plight as a veggie, and proud of this feat of cookery. After dinner, which was a spicy marinated pseudo-Chinese tofu with vegetables in hoisin sauce, we kept talking, and discovered that we have quite a bit in common, indeed, including a love of gab… And gossip. Being co-workers, this developed into a lovely, incestuous secret-fest the likes of which I haven’t indulged in since such time as I first met Terra Firma. We have plans to cook again as, to my great relief, she shared that she is, in fact, a pescaterian. This means I can actually continue to teach her shit about life in the kitchen. Unfortunately, I can’t help her with fancy-ass vegetarian cooking. All the fancy-ass stuff I do involves real meat, so fish is about as far as I can go. But considering how much frozen crap we had to pull out of her freezer to firm up the tofu… She needs some kitchen skillz.

Next time we cook, I’ll teach her a basic fish marinade for just about anything, and we’ll do a sautéed salmon w/orange-dill sour cream, and fat-free cream of asparagus soup. I love fat-free sour cream. It’s the bloody bomb-diggidy. Other than that, nothing new to report. Orpheus and I putter along, and it seems my arm is putting less stress on him, lately. This makes me happy, as I hate causing him distress. The last time I broke a bone, I had a mother, and was at an acceptable age to be babied. I cannot claim such any longer. I’ve made my initial appointment for physical therapy, and look forward to a great deal of painful crap there. Hopefully, all will be well. I’ll write again soon.

No comments: