Friday, February 13, 2009

Customer Service Blues…

Alright, so, if I’d had any idea that, at 28 years old and six years out of college, I’d still be on the phones for a living, I probably would’ve been scared all the way to D.C, to starve in relative obscurity for a few years while learning to be a politico/douchebag… Realistically, this means Orpheus wouldn’t be part of my life, however, and so there’s something to be grateful for on that note (you know, aside from the not becoming a complete and utter poli-whore). And, when one is brutal regarding ones’ political background, and the party one would’ve had to service during that long interim between school and the present, given all choices in aggregate, I’d really rather be on the phones.

That’s neither here nor there, but it is certainly a theme that has been echoing through my curiously empty head today, all during the bus-ride to work, and while I’ve been taking call after pointless call. I have a very full weekend, during which I’ll head home to comfort my poor fat cat re: my absence this week, as well as get a little housework done. I will also, in (silent) celebration of the timely Martyrdom of a certain beheaded saint, try to copy the dish that Fabio on Top Chef made for Lydia Bastianich this week! All this for a holiday which technically O. and I aren’t celebrating. We decided instead, due to our combined near-total dissatisfaction with said Romantic Farce, to celebrate “Steak and a Blowjob” day on March 14th. Steak (amongst other things), I know I can do quite well. But if Fabio’s roasted chicken is good enough for Lydia, then it’s good enough to try out at home, if I can get a (good) chicken for a decent price… Also, sacrificing a chicken in the stead of my relationship, trying to create a slightly romantic air this weekend just might be a good idea after everything Orpheus has been doing for me of late.

I love O., and value him enough that, despite my current lack of motive force behind further education and/or career advancement, despite the job that is (all told,) too easy, despite the difficulties inherent in working together to be with a person, etc., etc., ad nauseum… Despite all these things, I’d rather be with him than doing anything else in the world. Happy (anonymous) Valentine’s Day, Orpheus!

No comments: