Monday, May 5, 2008

Weekend Blues

This weekend was kind of a walking comedy of errors. I made some OK grub, but for the most part, things just didn’t work out. Friday, O. and I were at odds. Saturday, after he finally got off work, again there were odds to split. I was a super-cranky-pants. Sunday, we had a pretty cool day, including an impromptu gourmet-super-market picnic at a huge, beautiful, empty park near an aging bloc of high-priced real estate. This after some very highly encouraging foraging at the malls, where I found (finally) one of the cool Martha Stuart GreenPans at Macy’s. Supposedly, this is a hydrolyzed SiO (glass-well, of a slightly different composition, but glass) based non-stick coating that doesn’t emit toxic fumes when heated above, oh, 5 degrees Celsius. The only thing I find weird about it is, they say to maintain the pan you should rub it occasionally with a seasoning oil… And just leave it like that. Not bake it in, nothing. Soap, water, and occasional sacrifice of vegetable fat. Any way you look at it, the thing’s non-stick worked better on its’ first use than any other pan of its’ type I’ve ever seen. We’ll see if it maintains standards over time.

Resuming the main line, post-picnic we went to see ‘Persepolis’ at the cheap seats. It was amazing. Made me almost wish we’d paid ten bucks each to see it at the “Sundance Theatre,” which is slowly driving all the other art-house cinemas in town out of business with its’ middle-age friendly bland gourmet food and hoity-toity suburbanite atmosphere. Finally, O. had his kind of snippy day, and, since I’ve been generally oversensitive and aggressive lately (must be my period), I took it kind of hard. I made mini-pork and beef burgers with pine nuts spiced like kibbeh, accompanied by fresh corn on the cob with olive oil and a small tomato salad. We did drinks and hang-out with Basso, and watched ‘Reno: 911 Miami,’ a good-time romp, and nice counterpoint to ‘Persepolis’ earlier. There was no sex, which was OK, as O. and I got our Kumbay-ya-ya’s out and needed some juice with which to seal the breach. Though I slept like the dead, I’m pretty sure that Orpheus didn’t last night. Which is too bad. He starts working a lot more than normal, this week, and should probably be rested.

Tonight we have off, as he works late, then goes straight to play practice. His auditions went well, indeed, and he was cast as the inventor and murder victim in a two-man gay short. Afterwards, they’re all going out drinking, which has me a little miffed… I mean, Cinco de Mayo all by myself? He tries pulling that on the 4th of July, and I’m-a gonna stick him! ;-) Just kidding! Anyway, wish me luck, and have a great night, yourselves.

No comments: