Monday, May 26, 2008

KNIFE!!!



It came on Thursday. Needless to say, even though I missed the UPS delivery, I picked it up after the trucks came back that same night... And cooked with it while Orpheus was at play practice. Yes, I made a roast vegetable salad that was to die for. Basically, this thing is ground about as thin as my santoku, and has approximately the same edge angle... And anything that I ever heard about polished edges being inferior was hooey... At least, while cutting veggies. Oddly, chicken doesn't seem to like the polished edge so much, especially not near the tip. But all cuts are cleaner with this knife, and I find myself easily able to be super-lazy with it, too... I can use it at almost any point on the blade, and the overall thinness makes even mincing possible in the lower half! Yakuza-schooled German, indeed.

On Friday, I went to the doctor, because I've been feeling quite under the weather for the last week, and the fact that O. was starting to feel the same way clued me in to the fact that it isn't just allergies. Long story short, I have some sort of horrid virus that is making people miserable. As an asthmatic allergy sufferer, I tend to catch anything that comes my way during peak pollen season, so here we are! And Orpheus, poor dear, shares a bed with me most of the time, so he got it, too. The doctor gave me an antibiotic course to take "if I started to feel worse." Imagine! Just giving away anti-biotics! Unfortunately, he also felt a lump near my thyroid. He said not to worry... A test has been ordered and scheduled, some sort of ultra-sound. Dr. K. also said that, if it's anything bad, it's so early that there won't be any problems. Additionally, since I'm sick as a junkyard dog, it could just be a swollen lymph node poking its' way past the thyroid. Therefore am I not lying awake at night, hyperventilating at the ceiling.

One more day off this weekend, thank god... O. and I will sneeze and cough and hack our way through, and try to have fun. Wish us well!

No comments: