Saturday, May 17, 2008

A Week of Solitute (Eat it, Gabriel)...

Update... I am a tool. I have ignored my (possibly non-extant,) audience for near a week. Worse, there's been so much to talk about! So, we'll start at the very beginning... Last Friday at Bulgaria's. Following is the post I was writing on Monday... Then on Tuesday... And finally gave up on sometime around Wednesday. Afterwards, I'll continue with the saga that is THIS WEEK IN THE LIFE OF AEFFCHEN!!!

The weekend started off well. Decent sales day on Friday, got off work, then went to a quick “take my crap—please!” party thrown by a coworker. This is the coworker who, upon the occasion of our first departmental after-work booze up a couple months back, had a few, then told me that she loved me. Not in the creepy way, but in the “you're a dear” kind of way. In any case, it was kinda fun. I took Orpheus along, and we had a lot of free beer and hotdogs, as well as taking a good deal of the free crap which was, after everything, the reason for the party in the first place. Then, it was over to Bulgaria's for a belated birthday dinner, where B. dropped a pretty big bomb...

Well, it was actually his boyfriend who dropped that Bulgaria is, essentially, being deported within the next couple months. He went from being a full-time doctoral student at the university to a full-time worker... His new department was supposed to handle the visa change, but there was a bureaucratic fuck-up, causing his status to lapse before changeover. When Legal was approached to fix their own problem, the lawyers told him to find his own representation. Bulgaria doesn't have an estimated $20K lying around to mount an effective stay and reversal of his situation. I have to admit, it was difficult to hear this at a dinner thrown for my birthday, and keep a stiff upper lip. I love B. like a sibling, and he may not be able to come back to the US for 10 years after being deported. The dark-humor side of things is, since he's applying for scientific actuary-type jobs (whatever those are,) in Western Europe, I have a perfect excuse to jet to the continent once a year and stay for free.

Orpheus was very supportive afterwards, but we somehow missed having sex for the rest of the weekend. This meant I was worked up about Bulgaria's plight, and denied the best palliative for such upsetting news. Fortunately, O. stayed at my place Sunday night, so after work on Monday, he pounded me mercifully... I mean, mercilessly.

Tuesday was more-or-less unremarkable, as O. and I spent it apart. On Wednesday night, I attempted Porco (p)Roso once more for my friend Leo (He who annoys Orpheus to no end), who'll be moving away, himself, come the end of the summer. L., though, will be going to grad school as opposed to a government-imposed exile lasting a decade. I made a beautiful cream of roasted asparagus and leek soup, low-fat, believe it or not, and a gorgeous, super-tasty bruschetta. There was also a roasted veggie salad consisting of potatoes, leek, asparagus, tomato and sliced pickled beets, tossed with a little grape seed oil and Spanish sherry vinegar. The pork, once more, was ever so slightly overcooked. I'll have to do more experimentation. It was nice to talk to Leo, as he's been so busy in the last year or so. He was definitely involved in keeping me sane through my divorce, and to let him leave without spending at least a little time with him would be awful.

Thursday I spent waiting for O. to get off work. He was there until about 11 PM, so I just laid around his apartment for most of the night, took a big nap, and was generally bored. We did snuggle, though. Friday, last night, after a very long day at work, I had to wait for him again. However, Basso's second to last show with a non-traditional company of sorts was on, so I went to that for a change. It was quite good, considering! Afterwards, my allergies had me gasping for air. Naturally, every downtown pharmacy was closed, so I just drank, and went to bed with O. Now, I've just been to the farmer's market, and bought a great deal of shit. Yum!

No comments: